Wrexham 0 Hull City 0

Last updated : 30 November 2002 By Footymad Previewer

A glaring miss and a brilliant save denied Hull City in a cracking game but they were glad to go home with a point.

Boss Peter Taylor had to admit that Wrexham had made far more chances than his own men.

He said: "It was a fair result. We were away from home and had to dig in. Wrexham is one of the toughest places to come to and I am sure that at the end of the season they will be up near to the top and I hope we can match them." The former England boss said his match plan depended on putting Stuart Green in the unusual role of marking Darren Ferguson, explaining: "When I played against Darren he always passed all over the park and I wanted to make sure we kept tabs on him." Steve Melton could have given Hull the lead after 13 minutes when Steve Roberts made a bad mistake to put him clear with the whole goal to aim at as the keeper came off his line but completely missed.

Another chance came just before the hour when Melton was through again and this time the City man's shot was matched by an excellent save as Paul Whitfield got a foot to the ball and turned it wide of a post.

Apart from that the chances were few and far between for Taylor's side. Justin Whittle made a half chance when he went through on the right and crossed to give Gary Alexander a sniff of an opening but the big home centre half Brian Carey put in a good tackle to stop the move.

And when Carlos Edwards aimed a long throw to the near post Carey's back header looked to be going in until John Anderson headed out, dangerously close to his own net.

Alexander led a break on the half hour but it came to nothing and then when Michael Branch was going through on the right a timely tackle by Paul Edwards stopped him in his tracks.

Damian Delaney nearly created an opening with a right wing cross intended for Dean Keates in the six yard box and again the home keeper kept him out by getting to the ball first.

A 40-yard shot from Delaney was an easy save for Whitfield and Green wasted a half opening with a shot that flew too high