Southampton 0 Hull City 0

Last updated : 04 November 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Kenwyne Jones missed two clear chances in stoppage time as Southampton and Hull City fought out a dull draw at St Mary's.

The Tigers were hanging on for a point as Southampton's pressure grew more intense as the final whistle approached.

But the big Trinidadian striker mis-hit a shot from six yards when it looked easier to score and then saw a header cleared from the line at the foot of the post by Andy Dawson.

Saints had only themselves to blame for another setback, creating plenty of chances but lacking the finishing touch without injured leading scorer, Grzegorz Rasiak.

Hard-working Hull defended in depth but always looked dangerous on the break and Jon Parkin had a shot cleared off the line in the first half by Gareth Bale.

Then, in the second half, a powerfully struck 25-yard free-kick from Dean Marney caused Saints goalkeeper Kelvin Davis all kinds of problems.

But it was Southampton that failed to make the most of their openings although Bale went close with a free-kick in the first half and with a rasping left-foot shot in the second.

Southampton's best chance fell to midfield player Inigo Idiakez who saw a free-kick from outside the area strike a post before rebounding to safety.

The stadium sprang to life in the last minute when Hull winger, Craig Fagan, collided on the touchline with Southampton's assistant manager, Glyn Snodin. Referee Tony Bates spoke to Snodin and sent him from the Southampton bench to sit in the stands.

Bale was Southampton's outstanding player and manager George Burley must fear the transfer window in January with Liverpool and Manchester United keen to sign the Wales international.

Bale almost scored in the 16th minute with an in-swinging corner taken on the left which Hull goalkeeper Boaz Myhill managed to push away from the line.

Marney, substituted for the last nine minutes, was Hull's most active player and, in one mazy run over 50 yards, he eluded four tackles only to be deprived at the last by the covering Chris Baird.

Referee Bates had a busy afternoon, booking Dawson for a foul and Parkin for dissent, later adding Baird for a foul, as Southampton threw away another great chance to chalk up a home win.

For Hull, it was a valuable point but Southampton have now failed to win ten of their 16 Championship matches and the Premiership's bright lights are as far away as ever.