Kidderminster 1 Hull City 0

Last updated : 05 October 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Jan Molby's return to Kidderminster ended pointless after his Hull City side were completely outplayed by Ian Britton's Kidderminster who thoroughly deserved their 1-0 victory which could have been greater.

Harriers enjoyed most of the possession in an even first half and had the ball in the net for what would have been a dream start after just 29 seconds but Drewe Broughton had been caught in an offside position and the goal didn't stand.

Molby, who was given a hostile reception from the home support, spent most of the half slumped in his seat as his players were never allowed to settle and could only watch as his former charges controlled the game.

Hull did manage to get quite close to the Harriers goal on occasion, after 20 minutes Stuart Green blasted a free-kick well over the bar.

Two minutes later Broughton almost opened the scoring. Set free on the right he took the ball around Paul Musselwhite in the Hull goal, but could then only steer it into the sidenetting.

Six minutes before the break Bo Henriksen saw a volley well saved by Musselwhite low down to his right.

For ten minutes after the break the Tigers enjoyed their best spell of the game and Harriers were forces to defend in numbers. Phil Jevons headed over the bar after 52 minutes with Stuart Brock beaten.

Within a minute the action had switched to the other end, a long ball out of defence set JJ Melligan free on the right and his cross to the near post found Henriksen but his diving header was blocked by John Anderson.

The breakthrough came on the hour, Melligan hit a 25-yard shot from Sean Flynn's free-kick which was only half cleared by the City defence and when it fell back into the penalty area, Henriksen tucked it neatly into the bottom corner from 12 yards and three sides of the ground erupted into delirium.

With their tails up, Harriers went in search of a second, Broughton found himself clear of the defence but with only Musselwhite to beat shot feebly straight at the keeper and then shortly afterwards Henriksen broke into the penalty area but steered his shot narrowly wide of the post.

Ten minutes from the end Hull had another good chance, Jevons again heading over from a well-delivered free kick.

Harriers stood firm at the back as the referee added on four minutes of stoppage time and held on four their third win in four games