Hull City 2 Leicester City 4

Last updated : 12 September 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Plucky Hull City made the 2000 Worthington Cup winners Leicester sweat before the first division side eventually breezed through with a comfortable victory after running amok in extra time.

After Gary Alexander equalised Alan Rogers' opener, Leicester netted three times in quick succession through Paul Dickov, Rogers again, and Jamie Scowcroft, to put the game out of Hull's reach before a late consolation from Ian Ashbee cut the deficit.

Leicester opened the brighter, and after Trevor Benjamin had missed a sitter from 10 yards out, they took the lead in the 18th minute.

Dickov slipped the ball through for Rogers, who slid the ball past Matt Glennon. Moments later Glennon superbly tipped over Callum Davidson's goalbound effort, and he then was forced to smother Scowcroft's smart near-post header.

In the 31st minute Hull were back on terms after Frank Sinclair was penalised for pushing.

Richie Appleby took a quick free kick to Phil Jevons who unselfiishly squared for Alexander to ram home his first goal since March.

Hull took the initiative in the second half and put the visitors under increasing pressure with both Jevons and Simon Johnson coming close to stealing the victory in the final few minutes.

However, Leicester's professionalism proved too much for Hull in extra time, and within 11 seconds of the restart the visitors were back in front. Rogers released Dickov who cruised through a lack-lustre defence to curl the ball into the bottom corner.

After Jevons had wasted a glorious chance at the other end, Rogers put the game out of Hull's reach with his second of the match. Scowcroft played in Rogers down the left and his low shot squirmed beneath Glennon from 15 yards.

Scowcroft himself then put a flattering slant on the scoreline when he headed home Martin Reeves' cross at the far post for Leicester third goal in the space of 11 minutes.

However, Hull deservedly added some respectability to the scoreline when Ian Ashbee thumped home a header from Carl Regan's corner with three minutes left