Hull City 1 Southampton 1

Last updated : 24 November 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Southampton dominated the first half and should have had more than the one-goal lead given to them by Kamil Kosowski by the time Hull levelled the score through Nick Barmby just before the break.

However, the match erupted in the dying seconds of the first half when Southampton's Matt Oakley and Hull's Curtis Woodhouse tangled and Nigel Quashie came storming in followed by every other player on the pitch apart from both goalkeepers and Saints striker Theo Walcott.

After the game Southampton manager Harry Redknapp was exasperated by the incident.

"I thought both players were pushing each other like a pair of tarts and Nigel had no need to get involved. In fact no one had any need to get involved and I've got no time for that sort of thing," said Redknapp.

"Theo didnt get involved and he's got some brains. I thought we were fantastic in the first half, but we've been fantastic all season and we should have 15 points more than we have."

Hull manager Peter Taylor tried to look at the positives after his side served up a dire display, but he admitted that he is concerned about an injury to striker Ben Burgess.

"It looks like he could have injured the same knee [that kept him out of almost the whole of last season] so we're a bit worried about that," said Taylor.

"I thought we were better in the second half. Southampton and Nigel Quashie wee superb in the first and were passing the ball around really well.
"At half-time I thought we were very lucky to be level because they were passing the ball around for fun."

Southampton took the lead with the fist real attack of the game. Walcott broke down the right and played infield to Quashie, who touched the ball to Kosowski, who fired a low right-footed shot to Boaz Myhill.

With just 14 minutes played Burgess hobbled off to be replaced by Barmby and Hull struggled to cope with the change as well as Southampton's impressive, expansive game.

Brett Ormerod clipped the upright with a shot on the turn from six yards and Walcott and Rory Delap both missed decent openings.

Woodhouse forced Antti Niemi into a rare save just before the break, but then when Stuart Green's cross from the left caused confusion and Barmby scuffed a left-footed shot into the bottom left corner.

The hosts failed to threaten in the second period and the lively Walcott came the closest to a winner with two long-range efforts that were turned aside by Myhill.