Hull City 0 Portsmouth 0

Last updated : 04 April 2009 By Footymad Previewer
Hull City and Portsmouth had to settle for a point apiece from a disappointing goalless draw at the KC Stadium.

Neither-side could break the stalemate despite Pompey being down to ten men for the last ten minutes after Glen Johnson was given his second yellow card of the game.

The visitors created a decent chance ten minutes into the game. Clever footwork from Johnson down the right allowed him to find space to deliver a curling cross towards an unmarked Peter Crouch, but the England international could only head his close-range effort straight into the arms of keeper Matt Duke.

Geovanni then had a chance for the home side as he found himself with time to line up a long-range shot, but the Brazilian's effort from 25 yards saw the ball flash well wide of the post.

Hull had another chance moments later as neat build-up play allowed Bernard Mendy to swing in a curling right-footed cross into the path of Manucho, but the Manchester United loanee could only fire the ball well over the bar from eight yards.

The home fans felt that Portsmouth should be down to ten men midway through the half, after Johnson was first booked for a tussle with Kamil Zayatte then moments later penalised for bringing down Geovanni on the edge of the box.

However, referee Chris Foy decided only to give the England international a talking to, keeping his cards in his pocket.

Pompey had a good chance towards the end of the half as a Niko Kranjcar corner found its way to the head of Younes Kaboul at the back post, but the Frenchman could only head the ball over the bar from close range.

Hull were almost gifted a goal on the hour mark as a poor back-header from Hayden Mullins gave Craig Fagan a chance to score past the stranded David James, but the Hull forward saw his header well saved as the England number one managed to stretch and turn the ball round the post for a corner.

Johnson was given his second booking on 80 minutes as he was adjudged to of brought down Dean Marney with a late challenge, leaving Paul Hart's side down to ten men for the last ten minutes.

Portsmouth came within inches of nicking the victory in injury time as substitute Nadir Belhadj swung in a pin point free-kick from the left on to the head of Hermann Hreidarsson, but the Iceland international could only watch as his header come back off a post.