Hull 5-2 Birmingham- Match Report

Boyd brace as Tigers roar

George Boyd scored twice on his home debut as Hull moved into second place in the npower Championship following an impressive 5-2 win over Birmingham.

Boyd, who was making his first start for the Tigers since joining on loan from Peterborough, opened his Hull account inside the first minute.

Gedo put the home side two up before Boyd scored again to put them in control.

Robert Koren added a fourth five minutes into the second half before Gedo once again found the target.

Peter Lovenkrands and Chris Burke scored late consolations for Birmingham, as Hull put to bed last week's 4-1 reverse at Bolton - a game which saw them concede three inside the first eight minutes.

This time it was Birmingham who were shocked thanks to an appalling first-half defensive display which led to chants of `We're Birmingham City, we're not very good' from the visiting fans.

The Blues would have gone into the encounter full of hope off the back of a 2-0 win at Peterborough, with manager Lee Clark keeping faith with the same line-up. Boyd for Corry Evans was Hull's only change.

And it took Boyd under a minute to endear himself to the home fans after the impressive Robbie Brady's defence-splitting pass found the forward who rounded Jack Butland before slotting the ball into the net.

The home side were two up after 11 minutes when a ball over the top led to a communication breakdown between Steven Caldwell and Butland. Gedo easily outpaced the former Sunderland man, before he fired into the net for his fourth Hull goal.

Ahmed Elmohamady almost made it 3-0 after 18 minutes, but his first-time half-volley bounced just wide of Butland's right-hand post.

The goalkeeper was called into action again moments later, producing a good save to deny Gedo, before getting down well to deny Boyd who was following up.

Another mix-up involving Caldwell and Butland almost led to goal number three as they both left a Brady cross for each other and it just evaded Gedo at the far post.

Hull unsurprisingly did increase their lead in the 33rd minute as Boyd pounced on a loose ball 10 yards out before shooting off-balance past Butland, who would have been disappointed not to have got more on what was a tame effort.

Caldwell's miserable afternoon was complete in the 38th minute when he hobbled off to be replaced by Paul Robinson.

Two minutes later and Birmingham created their first chance when Wade Elliott broke through the middle, however David Stockdale was out quickly to deny the winger.

Birmingham introduced on-loan Newcastle winger Shane Ferguson at the break for Callum Reilly, but defensively little changed as Koren fired Hull four in front after 50 minutes from 20 yards out.

Butland had to dive full length to keep out Gedo's header less than two minutes later as Hull continued to pile on the pressure.

David Meyler's stinging effort went just wide after 70 minutes, with the break in play allowing home boss Steve Bruce to take off the former Sunderland man and replace him Tom Cairney, while for Birmingham Nathan Redmond came on for Mitchell Hancox.

Four became five after 77 minutes when Elmohamady's wonderfully whipped cross found Gedo, who from close range gave Butland no chance.

Boyd received a standing ovation from the majority of the 17,146 crowd when he was replaced by Jay Simpson in the closing stages.

His departure seemingly buoyed Birmingham, who scored two consolation goals in the closing moments when Lovenkrands netted from long distance before Burke found the corner from inside the area.

It was, however, Hull's day with victory moving them two points clear of third-placed Watford.

Source: PA

Source: PA