Hull 5-1 Rotherham- Match Report

Five-star Hull romp to Rotherham win

Hull warmed up for a Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final meeting with Derby with an emphatic 5-1 win over Rotherham at the KC Stadium.

Fans protested against owner Assem Allam for a second successive home game, holding up red cards ahead of kick-off.

They are unhappy Hull want to introduce a membership scheme for next season but after their last home game against Brentford, manager Steve Bruce had asked them to think twice before repeating the protest and it was on the pitch his players did the talking.

Lee Frecklington gave Rotherham the lead before Robert Snodgrass, Abel Hernandez, Jake Livermore and Mo Diame hit back as Hull finished the first half in dominant fashion.

A second goal from Livermore after the break completed the scoring.

Hernandez should have put Hull ahead with 12 minutes gone, seeing his first shot blocked by Frazer Richardson before Lee Camp turned his next effort out for a corner.

But Rotherham grabbed the lead when Hull failed to clear across from the right and Frecklington hooked the ball in with his left foot with 15 minutes on the clock.

Hull were level when Hernandez nodded down a Moses Odubajo cross and Snodgrass curled the ball into the top-right corner after 25 minutes.

A minute later Rotherham failed to deal with a bouncing ball in the area and Hernandez finished with an overhead kick.

Camp again denied a rampaging Hernandez, whose shot from a tight angle was turned out for another corner and Tom Huddlestone then had a shot blocked.

Hernandez fired into the side-netting as Hull threatened to run away with the game with half-time approaching.

Livermore netted Hull's third six minutes before the break as he chased an Ahmed Elmohamady pass and touched the ball past Camp before scoring from a narrow angle.

Two minutes later Diame scored Hull's fourth, beating Kirk Broadfoot to the ball before skipping past the defender and shooting across Camp's goal.

In stoppage time, Hernandez had another effort ruled out for offside and the home fans were placated enough not to repeat their pre-match protest during the half-time break.

The second half was always going to struggle to live up to the first but Hull extended their lead on the hour as Livermore shot low across goal into the far corner from 12 yards after Snodgrass had set up the chance with a clever back heel.

Snodgrass tested Camp with a shot which the keeper kept out with one hand as Hull looked to add further gloss to the final game of their regular season.

Camp also got down to gather a shot from Livermore, substitute Sam Clucas fired just wide and the keeper beat away Huddlestone's drive as Hull continued to put on a fitting regular-season finale for their fans ahead of their bid to reach the Premier League through the play-offs.

Source : PA

Source: PA