Cambridge United 1 Hull City 2

Last updated : 09 September 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Hull City ended their anxious search for their first win of the season thanks to a couple of set-piece goals within four minutes in the second half against a Cambridge side who had outplayed Leaders Rushden the previous week.

Jan Molby's side, the under-achieving Third Division favourites were the better side, boosted by the signing of Phil Jevons from Grimsby, but looked like paying the price for failing to take their chances.

It all slipped into place though when Justin Whittle rammed home a header in the 70th minute as the Cambridge defence stood and stared at the corner from Ryan Williams dropping into the box.

Four minutes later Shaun Smith curled a free-kick over the defensive wall and under the crossbar off with Shaun Marshall getting a touch.

Cambridge threw everything into a bid to haul themselves back but it was much too late when Dave Kitson screwed in a close-range shot with 90 minutes on the clock.

They were left to wonder what might have happened if Tom Youngs had not fired straight at goalkeeper Matt Glennon after breaking clear seven minutes into the second half.

Cambridge Manager John Taylor admitted: "It was a huge disappointment after being the top team. A big mistake was allowing Hull to settle into the game during the first half.

"We had chances and we couldn't take those and it's very disappointing for a manager to see your defence beaten from two set-pieces in such a short space of time."

A relieved Molby, experiencing victory for the first time since taking charge 15 games ago, last season, commented: "We deserved a win despite missing a lot of chances but it will be our next couple of games, which are at home before we really know we are getting going.

"What pleased me most was that we worked hard and fought for every ball right from the start, which is what you have to do in this division."

He was happy he said with the overall performance of Jevons, but the striker looked like he needed a League game or two after three one-on-one with the Cambridge keeper resulting in two saves and a shot into the sidenetting