Division Three News

Last updated : 25 February 2004 By Matt Carrington

York City player-manager Chris Brass has allowed midfielder Stephen Brackstone to join Division Three rivals Boston United on trial. The former Middlesbrough trainee was told that he was not going to be offered a new deal to stay at Bootham Crescent when his current deal ended at the end of the season. Meanwhile Brass has brought Wycombe Wanderers striker Andy Bell to the club on a trial basis.

Macclesfield Town boss John Askey has handed a trial to Hartlepool United defender Andrew Jordan. The 24-year-old will take part in a reserve team fixture in a bid to earn a long-term deal at the club. Jordan only joined Second Division Hartlepool last summer but has left in a bid for first team football after failing to command a regular starting place. Askey has also let Danny Adams join Second Division Stockport County on trial after the full-back declared that he wanted a new challenge.

Rochdale have parted company with Lee Duffy by mutual consent after the 21-year-old failed to earn a new deal at the club under new manager Steve Parkin.

Carlisle United player-boss Paul Simpson has been dealt a blow with the news that on-loan Walsall striker Matty Fryatt has been forced to return to the First Division outfit because of a growing injury crisis at the club. Simpson had hoped to keep the 17-year-old at Brunton Park for a further month but Colin Lee decided to recall Fryatt.

Northampton Town boss Colin Calderwood has returned to former club Tottenham Hotspurs to sign youngster David Hicks on a free transfer. The 18-year-old has signed a deal that will see him stay at the Sixfields Stadium until June 2005. Calderwood will know Hicks well after his spell as reserve team boss at White Hart Lane before taking over the managerial position at the Cobblers. Calderwood has also taken Middlesbrough midfielder Brian Close on trial. The 22-year-old had an impressive loan spell at Chesterfield last season and has featured for the Northern Irish Under-21 side.

Boston United caretaker boss Jim Rodwell is hoping to secure the permanent signature of striker Adam Boyd once his loan spell at the club ends. Boyd has banged in four goals in 14 appearances since joining the club back in November but his loan deal at the club ends tomorrow.

Huddersfield Town goalkeeper Ian Gray has been ruled out for the rest of the season because his hand injury requires more surgery. Gray - who hasn't played for the Terriers since damaging his hand in the FA Cup first round defeat to Accrington Stanley - had an initial operation to try and fix the problem but is still feeling pain and will have a second operation that will see the keeper sidelined for at least three months.

Aston Villa winger Peter Hynes has returned to Villa Park after his one-month loan spell at Cheltenham Town came to an end. Hynes also spent a month on-loan at Doncaster Rovers earlier in the season.

Cambridge United player-boss John Taylor has been handed a massive boost with the news that talented youngster Luke Gutteridge has signed a new deal at the club. The 22-year-old has been in fine form this season and has agreed a deal to keep him at the Abbey Stadium until June 2006.

Lincoln City defender Ben Futcher has been handed a two-match suspension after he collected his 10th yellow card of the season. Futcher was cautioned for dissent in the final minutes of the 2-1 defeat at Huddersfield on the weekend and will now miss the trip to Cheltenham and the home game against Mansfield Town.

Darlington boss David Hodgson has stated his intentions to try and extend Neil Teggart's loan deal until the end of the season. The 19-year-old is on-loan at the club from First Division Sunderland and has impressed during his first four appearances for the club. Hodgson has also told Mike Sheeran that he can leave the club after the 21-year-old striker failed to secure a regular first-team place.

Paul Warhurst has left Carlisle United after spending just four days with the Cumbrians. The 34-year-old played 23 minutes for the club during the 1-1 draw at Macclesfield on the weekend but has now left the club because he wanted to spend more time with his family.