Division Three News

Last updated : 12 January 2004 By Matt Carrington

Macclesfield Town have released defender Steve Hitchen and midfielder David Flitcroft. Hitchen joined the Silkmen back in 1997 but has recently found himself forced down the pecking order for the right back position while Flitcroft - who only joined the club last summer from Rochdale - has been kept out of the side by the form shown by Tommy Widdrington and Chris Priest.

Lincoln City boss Keith Alexander could return to his job at Sincil Bank sooner rather than later after making good progress in his return from brain surgery. Meanwhile, the Imps look set to miss out on signing Hartlepool United striker Marcus Richardson on a permanent basis.

York City player-manager Chris Brass has lost the services of striker Jon Shaw after he was recalled by Second Division Sheffield Wednesday. Owls boss Chris Turner has been forced to bring the 20-year-old back to Hillsborough after a number of injuries limited his attacking options.

Bury have given caretaker manager Graham Barrow the job at Gigg Lane until the end of the season. Barrow was appointed at the club after the sacking of player-boss Andy Preece in December and could earn a longer contract if the Shakers enjoy a successful second half of the season. Stockport County defender Dave Challinor has joined the club on a month-long loan deal.

Rochdale boss Steve Parkin has signed defender Martin Pemberton from Second Division Stockport County on a month's loan. Parkin has also been boosted by the return to fitness of ex-West Brom defender Daryl Burgess after he suffered a dead leg in the game during the 1-0 victory over Torquay United.

Kidderminster Harriers director of football Jan Molby has denied reports that he was set to offer John Williams a new deal at the club.

Huddersfield Town loanee Fola Onibuje has returned to First Division Preston North End after suffering a groin injury that has sidelined the striker for upto three weeks.

Former Cambridge United striker Dave Kitson has denied claims that he was unsettled at the Abbey Stadium before his move to First Division Reading last month.