Division Three News

Last updated : 04 January 2004 By Matt Carrington

Oxford United striker Julian Alsop will not play any football during January as his attempt to rescind the red card he was shown against Huddersfield Town failed. Alsop will now be suspended for five matches. Meanwhile, manager Ian Atkins has been named manager of the month for December after guiding his side to three wins and a draw.

Northampton Town have confirmed that they will not be offering a new contract to defender Jerry Gill. Gill was injured during a game with Tranmere Rovers last year and was given a six-month deal to prove his fitness but Cobblers boss Colin Calderwood has decided his future lies elsewhere.

Southend United duo Jim Corbett and Michael Husbands are hoping a quick return to first team action after suffering ankle and stomach injuries respectively.

Lincoln City midfielder Scott Willis have returned to Sincil Bank after a two-week trial at Second Division Stockport County ended. The 21-year-old had fallen out with temporary Lincoln boss Gary Simpson after failing to return back from Stockport on time but both have cleared the air and Willis has returned to training.

Bristol Rovers boss Ray Graydon fears that striker Andy Rammell may have played his last game for the game after a number of niggling injuries. The 36-year-old has managed just seven appearances so far this season and is currently sidelined with a hamstring problem.

Bury have agreed a deal with Stockport County to take young striker Jon Daly on loan. The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international will spend a month at Gigg Lane and is Graham Barrow's second signing since becoming caretaker manager.

Carlisle United boss Paul Simpson has extended the loan deal of Hartlepool United midfielder Paul Arnison for another month. The 26-year old joined the Cumbrians back in October and has scored one goal in nine appearances as Carlisle bid to avoid relegation.

Scunthorpe United boss Brian Laws is waiting to hear if defender Mark Jackson requires an operation on his ankle injury. Jackson has been playing with the injury for the last month but will be sidelined for over a month if an operation is needed.

Swansea City boss Brian Flynn has handed Layton Maxwell a trial after he was released by First Division Cardiff City. Maxwell will start his two-week stint at the club from January 5 and has a had similar trial at Second Division Blackpool but failed to secure a permanent deal.

Huddersfield Town keeper Ian Gray has visited a specialist in a bid to find out the extent of his hand injury suffered during the FA Cup tie against Accrington Stanley almost two months ago.

Athletes have lodged an official objection to York City's planning application to redevelop Huntington Stadium.

Yeovil Town striker Kevin Gall has no intentions of leaving Huish Park and is enjoying his time at the club according to his agent. The 21-year-old has scored 23 goals in just 39 outings at Yeovil since joining them on a free transfer from Bristol Rovers in February 2003.