Terriers Give City Wake-Up Call

Last updated : 05 September 2004 By Andy Beill
Photo © Paul Whiteley
Pawel Abbott - scored the first (Photo © Paul Whiteley)
The home side took the lead after only 7 minutes, exposing a gap on City's left flank where Nick Barmby had gone missing. Andy Holdsworth played the ball in and Pawel Abbott was free to smash home.

5 minutes later, Holdsworth again crossed from the right and Andy Booth headed against the crossbar.

Their second goal came in the 19th minute after a Richard Hinds error allowed Rob Edwards to fire in with a powerful shot leaving Boaz Myhill no chance.

Huddersfield's pressure ended after the midway point of the half though, and City registered their first shot in the 24th minute, Aaron Wilbraham missing the target with a decent 20-yard effort. 3 minutes later, Andy Dawson will have been disappointed not to do better with a free kick.

Photo © Paul Whiteley
Junior Lewis - unlucky not to score (Photo © Paul Whiteley)
Junior Lewis forced Terriers 'keeper Ian Gray into his first save in the 31st minute, and the midfielder came even closer just moments later but somehow Efe Sodje was able to head his goalbound shot off the line.

Jason Price was brought on at half time and made an instant impact. His lively entrance saw him booked within a minute for a tussle with Sodje, but his runs were driving City forward, and he hit the post in the 50th minute.

Town were surviving an onslaught from City, with Leon Cort's header over and Nick Barmby's blocked free kick among the chances missed.

City were left to rue their missed chances in the 74th minute when Huddersfield were gifted another goal. Leon Cort gave possession away with a sloppy pass, leaving City outnumbered at the back and Chris Brandon capitalised.

Photo © Paul Whiteley
Danny Allsopp puts his penalty into the arms of Ian Gray (Photo © Paul Whiteley)
Another golden chance was wasted at the other end in the 81st minute. Steve Yates handballed in his own area, but Gray had no trouble saving Danny Allsopp's low penalty.

Gray pulled off another great save to deny Cort 3 minutes later, somehow turning his header round the post.

Huddersfield completed the scoring in the 87th minute. Andy Booth's shot took a massive deflection and went past Myhill, who was booked for protesting an infringement to the referee.

Mendes almost made it five late on but pulled his shot just wide. In truth it was about their only chance that didn't go in, and the Terriers' superior ability in taking chances proved to be the difference in a 4-0 scoreline.

City line-up (4-4-2): Myhill; Hinds (Price 45), Cort, Joseph, Dawson; France, Ashbee, Lewis, Barmby; Wilbraham (Walters 63), Allsopp.
Un-used subs: Duke, Edge, Keane.