Wigan's Tom Cleverley has been ruled out for up to four weeks after picking up a hamstring injury against Bolton.Goalkeeper Chris Kirkland is unlikely to figure despite recovering from a head injury while Mauro Boselli (hamstring) will be out for seven days.
Hull news to follow.
The tie in context
• Wigan Athletic are one of 12 Premier League clubs in danger of falling to a Championship outfit.
Gulf in class
• Hull are 16 places inferior to their opponents from the other side of the Pennines.
• Wigan won two, drew one and lost one of the four Premier League matches against Hull over the past two seasons.
• These clubs met three times last season, having also been drawn against each other in the FA Cup.
FA Cup records and best performances
• Wigan hold a 100% record against Hull in the competition.
• The Latics were drawn at home on both previous occasions, winning 3-0 in the fifth round in 1987, and 4-1 in the third round in January last year.
• Won three of five; lost one of 10.
FA Cup form
• Reaching the quarter-finals in the season before last was their best performance since 1970/71.
• Aiming to avoid a sixth third round exit in seven seasons, and a second to Wigan in successive seasons.
• The 1930 semi-finalists are looking to register their 99th win of an FA Cup match.
• Failed to win eight of their last nine.
• Not lost on the road since the 2-0 loss to Arsenal in the quarter-final of the Carling Cup on 30 November.
FA Cup form
• Alternated between third and fourth round exits in the last six seasons.
• Never been further than the quarter-finals in 1987.
Tuesday, 18 January 2011 (Kick off: 1945 GMT)
Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Tyne & Wear)
Assistant referees: Patrick Keane and Simon Barrow
Fourth official: Geoff Eltringham
Source: BBC Sport