In the first 25 years of the Tigers existence, the position of left-back had been dominated by first John McQuillan and then Matt Bell. There had been others who had played brief cameo roles in the position but it was these two who had taken the lion's share of the outings. As the 1920's came to a close and a successor was sought to maintain the high standards, a young man by the name of Cliff Woodhead joined the Tigers to ensure that the left-back berth would be in safe hands for the next 10 years or so, although he would prove to be equally adept on the opposite flank.
He made his debut in December 1930 at right-back, partnering the legendary Matt Bell and learning the ropes. It was his only game in that season. In the following season he missed only 8 games operating on either flank and it wasn't until the September of the championship winning season 1932/33 that he finally settled in at left-back and remained there for the next 5 seasons (injuries permitting) providing stability and consistency. Described as "…not heavily built, but quick in action" he was judicious in the tackle and effective with his distribution. He maintained the traits of previous occupants by spurning the opportunity to record his name on the score sheet but his name was a permanent fixture on the team sheet and the selection process was frequently one of "Woodhead and 10 others," such was his dependability.
When the League programme was abandoned with the outbreak of WW2, Woodhead continued to be a regular fixture with the Tigers in the two seasons of wartime competition before the club closed down for the duration. He also spent time as a 'guest' player for York but it is with the Tigers that his name is inexorably linked. It was a link that was recreated when Woodhead returned to coach the juniors, taking them to the Northern Intermediate League title in 1953.